Cheap stock images are excellent alternatives to custom photography. They are less time-consuming and more affordable than conducting photoshoots. However, many people fall victim to common pitfalls related to the use of stock images. Fortunately, there are ways to avoid these mistakes.
- Purchase from stock photo sites. Do you think Google is a free resource of stock photography? Think again. Although the search engine provides images for free, most of these images are copyrighted and are not licensed for reuse. To make sure that you have the permission to reuse the images in any project, get them from stock photo websites.
- Choose the right photo license. Keep in mind that purchasing an image does not save you from committing mistakes. You may still be in violation of the license when you use the image incorrectly. Usage is used in two main stock photo types: royalty-free and rights-managed. The former allows multiple usages with some restrictions while the latter requires the user to state exactly how and where the image will be used. Due to their exclusivity, rights-managed cannot be utilized many times.
- Avoid popular images. Many people also use cheap stock images with their creative projects. Thus, it is possible that two or more companies will end up with the same images. You can avoid this problem by finding and using less popular images in the deepest pages of your search results.
- Avoid generic images. Many people use generic photos in their websites. Do not follow them. Generic images can lead to poor user experience. To avoid this, communicate specific information through specialized images. Examples of generic images are handshakes and business meetings. If you want to articulate a unique value proposition, steer clear from them.
- Don’t use photos that misinterpret your message. Rather than using images of buildings and personnel, choose images that illustrate the products and services you offer.
- Don’t change the file name. Renaming files removes one vital piece of information from the image you downloaded. The long stream of numbers, typically associated with stock images, can be used to search for the original photo again.
- Download the highest resolution. In the event that you need to incorporate images in printed materials, you should download the highest resolution to produce high quality results in print publications. Your visitors will appreciate the crispiness of higher resolution images than their smaller counterparts.
Stock photography has a lot to offer to creative professionals around the world. It is affordable, which means it will surely fit your creative budget. It is less time-consuming. You only need to spend time looking for that image that suits your creative needs. In conclusion, if you know what to avoid when using cheap stock images, you can enjoy a perfect project.